Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What's Good and What's Bad?


Have you ever actually thought about some of the most tragic situations in your life and thought, wow, I can actually see the good that came from that now? I have. It makes me realize why God may ask us to thank Him in ALL circumstances good and bad.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Ephesians 5:20
New King James Version (NKJV)
20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I have tossed this thought around in my head often over the course of this rough year. Who are we to say what is "good" or what is "bad" if God is working ALL things out for our good (Romans 8:28). I was chatting with my daughter Amanda about this recently and we were discussing one of those occasions. Kenny and I had taken her to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida because she was having terrible health issues that weren't getting resolved. She even had to take a health related leave from college. When we look back at pictures from that time or talk about the experience, we actually have fond memories of that time now. It was like a small vacation for us. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and ate at some fun restaurants. We even have funny memories of the elevator in the hotel that had a funny voice and a bizarre unrecognizable accent. When we pressed the "down button" she would say, "going down" in such a funny way that we would burst out in laughter. It was like Siri's weird sister. We also had quality time together that we will never forget. I also think about my horrible experience with chronic dizziness and vertigo this past year (I'm dizzy as I type). I searched out some "dizzy support groups" via Facebook and have been blessed with some awesome new friendships. People who have vestibular disorders, brain lesions, ear disorders.....

Bottom line is that while you are experiencing something bad or even terrible, hold tight to the Lord. Keep your eyes focused on Him as He gently leads and guides you through. You may not see the beauty in your mess as it is occurring, but I can promise if you love Him, he is working it all out for your good, and He is working on increasing your faith, which in turn will bring Him praise, honor and glory.

1 Peter 1:6-7
New King James Version (NKJV)
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,

No comments: