Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Taking Things for Granted



I have a habit of taking things for granted and I know I'm not alone. I saw someone on Facebook post "what if we woke up the next day with only the things we thanked God for?" That really got me thinking. I thought I was doing well in the thankful and grateful department lately until I read that statement. I read a book a few months ago called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp and it made me aware of my lack of gratitude towards even the most simple things. I downloaded an app that corresponds to the book and it gives you the ability to keep a journal type list of all the things you are thankful for. You can even download or take a picture to go along with the "thing" you are grateful/thankful for. I was on a roll. I had pictures of my husband, kids, dogs, friends, a banana bread I made, things I sewed, my sewing machine...you get the point. I made it close to 200 in a short period of time but I noticed lately that I've been slacking. I know I don't have to keep up in an app to show my appreciation for the people and things in my life but it brought about more of an awareness. As Americans in general, we are blessed beyond measure. I am sitting on a comfortable couch, in air conditioning, food in my belly, a husband and kids who love me, and all the comforts of home, including the I Pad that I'm typing on. There are undiagnosed sick people living in huts with dirt floors who are suffering with pain and disease and they don't know what is wrong with them or have adequate medical attention. There are people without a home or even one family member who loves and cherishes them. We have to be mindful of the things we complain about. I am just as guilty as the next guy. It's hot, it's humid, I have a headache, the nurse can't get my IV started, I'm hungry.....we must sound so ridiculous to God at times. I'm so grateful and thankful that He doesn't just smash me like a cockroach and take me out of existence when He has heard enough of my grumbling. This blog is for me because I think I have the right to complain when I don't feel well, which is often. That is a lie. I have NO right to complain. The bible says to do all things without grumbling or disputing (Philippians 2:14).

Stop, take a look around you. I'm sure there are countless beautiful things and people in your life to be grateful/thankful for. Hey, I've been grateful this week for my new walker. Who would'a thunk? I'm even more grateful that I'm not needing to use it today!!!

Here are just a handful of verses that mention being thankful:

1 Thessalonians 5:18
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Psalm 107:1
New King James Version (NKJV)
107 Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.

Colossians 3:15
New King James Version (NKJV)
15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.

Philippians 4:6
New King James Version (NKJV)
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

Ephesians 5:19-20
New King James Version (NKJV)
19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ,

No comments: