Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Slept Too Much! or Have I?


Yesterday, I got out for a couple of hours with Amanda in the morning. We met a very special person we love, who is visiting from out of state, for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. When we got home, I was "hit the wall" tired. A familiar feeling for those with MS. I actually laid down and took a nap. Four hours later I woke up and dragged myself out of bed. That is not the norm for me. Today, I slept in later than I have since I was a teenager, too many years ago to count. I woke up and saw that it was 10:00 am. That is completely unheard of for me! The worst part about all this sleeping is that I'm not waking up refreshed and I feel like I could go back to sleep again. Considering that I was one to get up at 5:00 am regularly, this has been a difficult thing to get used to. I took pride in being an early riser. I could get so much done in the wee hours of the morning. I am having to just "roll" with what comes my way. If my body needs more sleep, I need to just sleep. If I am unable to walk through a mall, I need to just stop. If some chores don't get done, well, they don't get done. There is no shame in not being able to do everything the same way I was able to last year. Does there ever come a time when one becomes accustomed to living in the moment? Not getting down on yourself because your body needs more sleep or rest? Our society runs on "fast forward" and I miss that sometimes but it is no longer possible for me to "roll" that way. I need to live in the moment. I can't waste my time feeling sorry for myself or being bitter because my life is different now. I choose to live with joy in my heart! I will wake up, no matter what time it is, seek first the kingdom of God, and move about my day as He leads and guides me. There is no "wrong" way if I live my life putting Him first. There aren't any rules for waking up at a certain time and there are no rules as to what chores get done at what time or on what day. Grocery shopping can be done on a weekday instead of Sunday. Sometimes we set up rules in our heads and feel constricted as if we have to live by them. Today I choose to be joyful in the midst of MS fatigue. I encourage anyone else out there struggling with physical limitations to be kinder to yourself today and to keep your eyes on Jesus. I am doing the same.


Proverbs 3:5-6
English Standard Version (ESV)
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

No comments: