Thursday, June 14, 2012

Just "Believing" Isn't Enough


What I am coming to realize lately is that A LOT of people believe "a little of this and a little of that". They really don't have a strong belief in any particular thing, let alone spiritual matters. People "pick up" ideas along the way that they hear from other people, that they like and that sounds good to them. They just keep adding on to their own thoughts and ways, basically making up their own "religion". Jesus said in John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth , and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me". He is the ONLY way. He's either lying or He's insane. It HAS to be considered.

Many people consider themselves christians because their parents were or because they went to church as a child. That is not what makes anyone a christian. Even the demons believe in Jesus and tremble! (James 2:19). Many people hear the gospel, which means "good news" and don't continue to repent (turn away) from their sin because they are fearful of what man thinks of them, or in other words, they care too much what their friends will think about them. This is what the following verses are referring to,

John 12:42-43 (NKJV) 42 Nevertheless even among the rulers many believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

The verse talks about how they believed, but didn't confess Him because they loved the praise of man (their peers) more than the praise of God. It takes a lot to follow the Lord. It goes against the world's view about things. Jesus said some pretty extraordinary things while He walked this earth. One very critical thing that Jesus said was:

Matthew 10:32 (NKJV) 32 “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.

This means that if we are ashamed to confess Jesus to our friends, co-workers or others, He will not confess us to our Father in heaven. That is pretty scary.

I was invited to church by a neighbor and I heard the "good news", and I responded by surrendering my life to Jesus back on July 31, 1996. I could never have done this life without His help. I feel so sick most days that I am now even feeling sick in my dreams. When my eyes open upon awakening and I'm dizzy, nauseated, numb, and in pain, I ask Him to help me get out of bed and He does help me. I ask Him for strength for the day, and He provides it. I know I would have caved in years ago under the weight of my anxiety, depression and disease, but I have kept my focus on the goal. I press forward through my adversities and infirmities knowing I have a heavenly hope.

Philippians 3:14 (NKJV) 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

What's your ultimate goal???

No comments: