Friday, June 15, 2012

The Turn Around Day


Yesterday was a day that I tried my best to take control of my life and my health. I know that we all have responsibilities but I am amazed how often I "forget" that God is in control. I ended up with a secondary infection due to my immune system being suppressed from the course of heavy duty steroids that I was given for my MS relapse a few weeks ago. I have been very uncomfortable so I grabbed the reigns and tried to make myself well. I used too many "home remedies" and "over the counter" products combined, I created my own "perfect storm". I was a disaster! When I took a moment to pray, I actually started to get somewhere. Doors opened for me. One of my busiest doctors was able to get me in immediately.

Today has been much better. It seems to be a sort of "turn around" day for me. I woke up and actually felt somewhat better than I have lately. I honestly can't get over the sense of accomplishment from doing a few simple chores around the house. Just being able to get anything done at all is nothing short of a miracle for me. Just a few weeks ago I had another really bad MS relapse. I thought that nothing would ever come close to being as horrible as vertigo and vomiting but this bout of transverse myelitis, with its severe pain, numbness, (almost to the point of paralysis), lack of control over the use of my leg, and a numbness in my lower torso, came very close! I threw my need for prayer out there on Facebook and what did I get? I got PRAYER!! Lots of it!!! Well, since then, I have been getting better every day and have regained some of the feeling back on my right side. With transverse myelitis, the internet seems to agree on many websites, that with this condition you have a 1/3 chance of not getting better at all, a 1/3 chance of a partial recovery and a 1/3 chance of a complete recovery. Due to the nature of my MS, I seem to be in the category of a partial recovery. That's not to say that over time it won't get even better (all things are possible with God), but it's not likely. I am so grateful to be walking at all again. During the past few weeks, Kenny and I got all my "equipment" ready. My wheelchair came out of hiding, we bought fresh new batteries for my scooter and we bought a nifty blue Hugo walker with a built-in seat. I am back to just using my cane in public and I have never been happier to be using it. Funny how the cane that I initially felt awkward using is a joy to use now. I don't hesitate to use a scooter for longer distances now. My lack of a complete recovery has left me with sporadic pain and residual numbness in my right leg and foot and a numb left foot. I have regained a good amount of my strength back in that leg though. I have been experiencing spasticity in my right leg that is actually making it easier for me to walk. A stiff leg is easier to walk on than a flaccid leg with no control. Bottom line is that I am doing better day by day and I am so grateful and thankful for all of your prayers!!! I know that God has heard your prayers on my behalf and He has answered them. Thank you all so very much!!!! I am truly very blessed....

No comments: