Monday, June 25, 2012

Sadness and Joy at the same time?


I'll never forget when one of our very special friends passed away and went home to be with the Lord. I experienced something that was new to me, it was a weird combination of both a heavy sadness and an overwhelming joy. I came to find out that I wasn't the only one who felt this way, so did a lot of the other family members and friends of this very special man. Is there a word for that feeling? I don't think there is, in the English language that I know of anyway. It was a unique experience for me. I was so sad yet so joyful at the EXACT same time. In my life before I knew Jesus, death was scary, sad, morbid, and the end of someone that I loved and cared about. There was a complete lack of knowledge about where that person went. After years of coming to understand what the scriptures say, I realized that if someone "dies in Christ", they enter eternal life with Him. That is something to celebrate! The bible says in Psalm 116:15, Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints. That is amazing to me! The bible also says,

2 Corinthians 5:8
New King James Version (NKJV)
8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

We as "believers" have this incredible heavenly hope. The more we see a loved one suffer here on earth, the more joy we experience in knowing that they are no longer suffering and that they have "fallen asleep" in the Lord and opened their eyes to eternity with Him. One thing that many people don't realize is that everyone will experience eternal life. Where that is going to be is determined by whether or not you have accepted and received God's free gift of salvation through His Son Jesus' death on the cross and His resurrection three days later, as atonement for your sin. Jesus Himself has told us that He is the way, the truth and the life, and that no one will get to the Father except through Him( John 14:6) . The bible also says,

John 3:36
New King James Version (NKJV)
36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

What keeps me going in my daily life living with Multiple Sclerosis and all the other obstacles that come my way, is knowing that after this lifetime of many trials and tribulations, it will end in a spectacular way. It is not a death wish, it's a new life wish. God has determined the day of my death and it won't come one second before or after the time that He has determined. But when it comes, and He calls me home. It will be a beautiful thing. I am looking forward to eternal life with Jesus. Only suffering can give us the longings for "something more" than what this world has to offer. There are only so many material things such as cars, vacations, parties, jewelry, clothes, homes, and the list goes on, that will never fill our deepest longings. Only God can fill the void in our human hearts. Nothing and No one else can. Until then, I will put all of my eggs in one basket and that basket is Jesus.

No comments: