Friday, June 8, 2012

The Quilt


Isaiah 41:10
New King James Version (NKJV)
10 Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’

Kenny bought me an awesome sewing machine for Christmas, two Christmas' ago. He didn't just buy the machine. He bought literally EVERY thing else one needs to sew. Cutting mats, rulers, rotary cutters, fine scissors in all shapes and sizes.....the problem with the gift was that I had never sewn anything in my life. Not by hand or by machine. I had to watch a YouTube to learn how to sew a button on one time and I was so proud of my accomplishment. The new sewing machine was the most intimidating gift I had ever received. I was actually scared of it. How would I ever figure out how to thread it, make bobbins (I didn't know what a bobbin was), change the presser feet (of course I didn't know what those were either). The machine is a Brother PC-420. Top of the line and sews all kinds of fancy stitches. I never used it. It sat with the cover on it for over a year basically untouched.

One day while walking through the "east corridor" at church, Kenny and I saw that the "Piecemakers Quilting Ministry" had set up a table. I stopped by and told them that I wish I knew how to quilt and that I was blessed with this sewing machine that I didn't know how to use. The woman encouraged me to come to one of their meetings and they would help me and show me the ropes. We e-mailed each other and when the time came, I was too busy between work and all the other things in my world tugging at me, including my MS. When I told them that I wasn't well enough to commit to weekly lessons at that point in time, they were so gracious. They stayed in touch with me, sent me cards in the mail and they even called me to say that they were praying for me and had a gift to drop off.

Well, one of the gals did stop by my home. She prayed with me and presented me with one of the most beautiful quilts I had ever seen. I felt awkward because I just knew that there were people who were A LOT sicker than I was and I felt that they misinterpreted how sick I was. My MS is a chronic condition but it didn't keep me from living life. I came to find out that THIS WAS NO MISTAKE. This very same quilt is on my lap right now. GOD KNEW WHEN I WOULD NEED THIS QUILT. A few months later is when I left work that fateful day and was plagued with the worst vertigo, vomiting and inability to function. That quilt has been on my lap through all kinds of turmoil, not just keeping me warm but it has been a tremendous comfort to me. The ladies had sewn a square on it that has my name on it and the above verse, Isaiah 41:10. I would meditate on that verse when I was deathly ill. It was probably the only scripture I had seen in weeks. I was too sick to do anything. There were days I couldn't muster the strength or ability to even shower but that quilt was always there. It still is. My present from God. I treasure it. He used the hands of these woman to bless me with a quilt that I didn't think I needed. He knows all of our needs before we do or before we even ask ( Matthew 6:8).

Since then, I have taught myself with YouTube tutorials and the help of some very close friends, how to use my machine. I make small things here and there and I have almost completed my very first quilt. It's been a slow process because just leaning over to cut fabric makes me dizzy. I sew as I can and I enjoy every moment of it. I have a love for quilts now. I love to just look at them and I love the feel of them. God has planted yet another seed in my heart. Who knows, maybe He will water it so I can bless others some day the same way I was blessed. God is so awesome!!!!

3 comments:

Virginia Santoro1 said...

Michele, that is SO beautiful! What a blessing those ladies are - friendship arranged by God to remind you of His love and ever-presence through every moment of your life. Quilts are powerful messengers - I've heard too many stories about how people have been ministered through quilts. I bet God's House is adorned with them...:)

Michele Valentine said...

The quilt they blessed me with is the one on the left and the fluorescent colored one is the first quilt that I've made and haven't quite finished yet. <3 I hope there are quilts in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Michele:

While Bob was going through his cancer treatment, he was also blessed with a quilt from the Piecemakers Ministry. That quilt has provided so much comfort for him and me too. It has been to Mexico, New York, Minnesota, New Jersey and many other places. We are so blessed that there are those that reach out and touch just at the right momemt, God's precious moment. I am hoping you are feeling better. You are in my constant thoughts and prayers.

Dottie