Thursday, June 7, 2012

Starting with the "Big Guns"



Recently, I asked my husband if he had read the bible that day. He said no. Now, that doesn't mean that he hadn't read devotions, listened to teachings, prayed, worshipped or read commentaries. I realized that same day that I'm a "devotion junkie". I'm the first one to open a small devotional, followed by multiple e-mail devotions from some of my favorites like Joni Eareckson Tada and quite a few others BUT, I realized that we have an enemy that wants us to stay out of the actual Word of God, the bible. I received a text from a friend this morning of a verse from Luke. It was Luke 12:31 which reads: But seek the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added to you. When I got up, I went straight to my bible and landed at Matthew 6:33 which reads: Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added to you. This is an example of how the Lord speaks to ME PERSONALLY. I knew then that I would say a prayer before getting out of bed every day and I would go straight to "the Big Guns", my bible. Not the one on my I Pad, but the one with the pages falling out, highlights, circled words and notes. There is nothing wrong with reading the bible on your phone or tablet but if you're anything like me, I will go from thing to thing to thing based upon the "banners" that flow across the top of my I Pad causing distractions and tempting me to think about Facebook, the stock market, e-mail, Words with Friends and so on.....I have decided to go for my bible first and to seek first the kingdom of God through His Holy Bible first. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to draw near to God. This one's for me. I just thought I'd share how He spoke to me today.

BTW, if the friend who sent me the text is reading this, thank you, I needed that, and yes, I read The Word before blogging!!!! :)

3 comments:

Virginia Santoro said...

Michele, I am speechless! But I'll comment anyway...:) I woke up this morning thinking the same exact thing! I was about to go to "Jesus Calling" on my IPhone when the HS talked to me about my beloved, worn and Trusted Bible right there next to me. So I opened it immediately and it fell to near the end of Zechariah where God spoke a profound lesson to me, which led to a time of powerful prayer. After that, my devos were good and sweet, but not near as powerful as my time with God in His Word. And now you blog on this very thing! Wowee!!!

Michele Valentine said...

We are all woven together through His Holy Spirit!!! There is nothing like it. He speaks very clearly when we listen. <3

Michele Valentine said...

The more interesting thing is that I had already written my blog for the day but I was redirected by God and wrote this instead.