Thursday, July 19, 2012

Who's a missionary?

Acts 1:8
New King James Version (NKJV)
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me[a] in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

This verse has been speaking volumes to me lately. I felt the Lord impress on my heart last night after watching church on-line, that I had graduated and been promoted. I knew what He was saying to me. After reflecting a lot lately about how I have been removed from the work force due to my illness, I have shared about my feelings of being "demoted" and having a "new normal". Although I still have a heart for the people that God placed in my life through my work, He removed me from there, leaving me to question "why?". As Pastor Chet explained last night, we are to go locally first, preaching the gospel in Jerusalem, our home town and to the people closest to us. That was my Jerusalem. My territory has been expanded by God's grace. My feelings of uselessness have been replaced with purpose. I know that His Word is going forth throughout other nations through this blog. Although it was named, "michele's blog", I had dedicated it to the Lord. That is just the name of the blog, not Who it is dedicated to. My prayer from the beginning of creating this blog has been that through my afflictions, trials, valleys, and also through the wonderful things in my life, the Light of the World, Jesus Christ, would shine through what I write and that He would be lifted up and exalted for others to see Him and come to know Him personally. The anxiety, depression, disease, and all the other speed bumps in my life would be laid out in a transparent manner to draw people to Jesus, not to me. He is our hope. I have read the above verse numerous times over the years and thought, "that verse is for missionaries". "I'm not a missionary". I was wrong. If you are a child of God, you are called to be a missionary. We are just not all called to go to the same places or to have the same types of ministries. Pastor Chet last night also referred to an elderly woman he used to visit regularly in a nursing home years ago, she was bedridden. He doubted her ability to be called to ministry from her bed. She convinced him otherwise. She was praying for him and many others during her time in bed, THAT IS MINISTRY! Joni Eareckson Tada, in a recent devotion, mentioned an encounter with a woman by the name of Mary Rose. She was introduced to this woman prior to one of her speaking engagements. Mary Rose "shuffled" over to her, due to cerebral palsy, with the help of an aide. This dear woman told Joni, as she was introduced to her, that she had been praying EVERY day for her over the course of many decades. Joni did the math and was blown away by the fact that this woman had prayed over 7,000 times for her!!! As long as we have breath, God can use us. What a blessing and honor! God can use the least of us to accomplish His will. I'm blown away that He chooses to use me, MS and all. What an amazing God!!!



No comments: