Sunday, July 29, 2012

False Doctrine...

2 Timothy 4:3-4
New King James Version (NKJV)
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Funny how my God works. The above verse was posted by a friend on Facebook yesterday and he said that this time has now arrived and he asked what we were going to do about it. My reply was" lots of praying". Later this same day, I chose to hitch a ride in the big bulky scooter at Sam's Club. I was not feeling well but wanted to accompany my husband so I could just be with him. A woman asked Kenny to assist her by lifting some packages of bottled water and placing them in her cart, which he did. After he finished helping her, she looked at me and said "your husband is kind". She then leaned in close to me and asked why I was in the scooter. I smiled and told her "I have MS". She didn't know what that was. I then said, "it's Multiple Sclerosis". She still did not know what that was. She asked me if I knew Jesus. I told her I did. She looked at me as if I were lying. She then proceeded to tell me that there is a problem with my faith or else I would not be in the scooter. She told me to look up a couple of specific verses. I lifted up a prayer to God because I could feel myself getting angry. Not necessarily with her but at her belief in the false doctrines she is learning. I asked where she went to church and she answered (I won't disclose publicly). She said she has been a believer for 20 years. I asked her if she ever read the book of Job. She hadn't. I asked her why God allowed Paul to suffer all he did, she had no reply. I asked her if she knew about the ministry called "Wheels for the World" and who started it. She said no. She attempted to tell me about something from the book with the "guy" in the belly of a "fish". She didn't remember that his name is Jonah and that he was in the belly of a whale. I am not telling you this story to puff myself up or to bash this woman's "good intentions", but my desire is that we will open our bibles and read them for ourselves. If you are blessed enough to own one, open it. Let God's truths penetrate. It's God speaking through His Word to us! Don't listen to me, listen to Him. Pray for understanding and wisdom. He will give it to you.

I did ask the woman flat out if she believed in the "name it and claim it" theology and she wholeheartedly said "yes I do". I told her that I don't. I explained why and told her that His grace is sufficient for me. I had to agree to disagree with her bad theology and move on to meet back up with my husband. We parted ways and it left me feeling unsettled. Normally after encountering another believer, it feels like family, this did not feel that way. BUT, it drew me closer to God because when I got home, I opened my bible and was reminded how much God loves me, has control over my life and will reward my choice to follow Him and obey His commands. I have been commanded to pray for this woman as well as all the other victims of false teachings.

2 Timothy 2:15
New King James Version (NKJV)
15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Romans 16:17
New King James Version (NKJV)
17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them.

No comments: