Thursday, July 12, 2012

Peace and Joy

Philippians 4:6-7
New King James Version (NKJV)
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

God, through Paul tells us in the above verse to not be anxious about ANYTHING. It seems like a tall order for most of us but it is a command. When the Lord tells us to do something, that is an order or a command, when we follow through and do it, that is called obedience.

Philippians 4:4
New King James Version (NKJV)
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

The verse above commands us to ALWAYS rejoice or be joyful. How does this happen? I can only tell you how it happens in my life. Coming from a past that was plagued with depression and anxiety, I speak from my own experiences. Philippians 4:6-7 was what I had always considered to be my "life verse". My world consisted of so much anxiety that as a new believer, almost 16 years ago, the words of that verse just popped out at me! I have to tell you that if you are someone who has never experienced anxiety or depression, consider THAT all joy because it is HORRIBLE. I will take my MS symptoms over the symptoms of anxiety and depression any day. I had been on and off medication most of my life to help control my symptoms. When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I had more peace in my life just knowing that my sins were forgiven yet I still battled depression and anxiety. I hadn't had a relationship with the Lord long enough to trust Him through my trials. I was used to trying to deal with my issues myself. I didn't know how to cast my cares onto Him. I think we would all agree that the longer we know someone and the longer they prove themselves trustworthy, it is much easier to trust that person. Over the years, Jesus proved Himself trustworthy and faithful over and over again to me personally in my life. This verse hung in my cubicle at my last job. Before starting my busy workday, I would lift up a quick prayer for the Lord to be with me and help me through my day. Then I would glance and look at my verse hanging there and the word that always stuck out more than any other in that verse to me was the word "thanksgiving". I began to realize that through any storm that came my way, there was always something to be thankful for. Isn't it true in your life too? People always say things like, "it could be worse" but we don't ponder about the things in our lives that are already good and maybe even wonderful. Through listening to teachings, reading books and praying, I started to focus on thankfulness. I continue to practice this today. It is easy to sit around and stew over things we can't do anymore or "stuff" that we don't have, but I am choosing to be thankful and I am choosing to be joyful. Joy is not the same as happiness. I don't feel happy all the time. In fact, my MS can make me quite miserable at times BUT it doesn't take away my ability to be thankful for the multitude of blessings in my life and it can't steal the joy or peace that I have because it comes from the Lord. When He blesses me with His peace, I accept it as a wonderful gift. The problems in life will NEVER end. The aggravations that get under our skin, will NEVER end. That is a promise from God too.

John 16:33
New King James Version (NKJV)
33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[a] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Jesus says, YOU WILL HAVE TRIBULATION. Why don't we cling to those words as well? We have a habit of clinging to all the things that sound wonderful to us but when God tells us that we will have tribulation or that we will have to suffer, we don't want to hear that.

The bottom line is that when we become thankful, truly thankful for EVERYTHING, and for me that includes my MS, we begin to think more like Jesus instead of the world. When we can start looking straight into the eye of an oncoming storm and cry out to Jesus and KEEP OUR EYES ON HIM, we can get through ANYTHING because He is with us. If you are a christian, HE LIVES IN YOU. He can't get any closer. He is a whisper or a thought away. Take advantage of His proximity today and always. If you don't have Him living in you and you desire to, call on His name.

Romans 10:13
New King James Version (NKJV)
13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”[a]

My prayer for anyone reading this today is that if you don't know Jesus as your Savior, just talk to Him. He can hear you. If you do know Jesus, thank Him today and rest in the peace and joy that are ours when we trust Him at His Word.

No comments: