Wednesday, July 18, 2012

We do have an enemy...

1 Peter 5:8
New King James Version (NKJV)
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because[a] your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

While listening to a teaching the other day on-line, the pastor was speaking about how satan is out to destroy our marriages and our families. The main reason being is, if he can destroy a marriage and/or a family, it will lead to God's righteousness not being passed down to the next generation. I see that everywhere I look, including my own home at times. If he can allow me to feel hopeless or not useful, I may cave in and crumble. That does not glorify God. I need to be in God's Word and allow His truths to soak in. I can't base my life or who I am on the world's standards. I belong to God. When I equip myself for a nobel war against the enemy and use the weapons that are provided for me, I can defeat the schemes of the devil. I am finding that being out of the work force due to illness has been a major way in which the enemy will attempt to make me feel useless and in turn attempt to knock me down or destroy me. I need to recognize where these thoughts are coming from, change my thought pattern and remember Who I belong to. We need to know that spiritual warfare is very real and that satan hates God and wants to destroy us, our marriages and our families. This should give us better insight as to why our kids may be behaving in a certain way and/or our spouse. We should be angry at the true source of contention as opposed to the ones we love and care about. Many years ago, Kenny and I went away for a weekend marriage retreat and learned that we are not each other's enemy. We were told to look each other in the eye and say, "you are not my enemy!". So basic, yet so true. We need to put on the full armor of God and fight like soldiers for ourselves, our marriages and our children. Don't let the enemy win a battle that Jesus already won for us. Stay strong in the Lord always. He is faithful.


Ephesians 6:10-17
New King James Version (NKJV)

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

2 comments:

Kate said...

Great job Michele! So often we forget about Satan and how crafty he is. How he looks for ways to squeeze into those areas we have left vacant. We need to remember to fill the walls of our heart & home with the love of Christ. The only way we can achieve that is by spending quality time with Him each day! Even just a few minutes each morning. It changes your whole perspective for the day!
Thank you so much for your wonderful encouragement and truthful reminders! Well done, my friend!

Michele Valentine said...

I agree with you completely Kate about spending time with Him every day. You wouldn't want to be around me when I haven't spent time with Him. Thank YOU for always being so encouraging to me. I love being knit together with sisters like you in this beautiful body of His!