Friday, July 20, 2012

Funny...

Psalm 37:4
New King James Version (NKJV)
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

Yesterday I received my very own first eBay package in the mail. My Madame Alexander doll arrived. Her name is "Funny". I didn't name her that, the company did and I never changed it. I have been looking periodically on the internet over the years for this particular doll and have been unable to find her. She seems to be somewhat rare. I am not a doll collector but have desired to find this particular doll for years. I knew I was very young when I received her as a gift from my parents. My Mom & Dad told me yesterday that I was only 3 years old when they gave me that doll. I still remember till this day looking at the shirt sized box and thinking "I hate clothes!". I don't even remember what the occasion was, whether it was a birthday or Chanukah (yes, I'm a Jewish believer in Jesus). I opened the box and what was revealed to me was not clothes, it wasn't a shirt, skirt or pants either. It was a doll! I was ecstatic! I loved her pink gingham skin, her blond yarn hair, but most of all, I loved her smile. She made me smile. I honestly can't believe I remember as much as I do about that experience considering I have a horrible memory and always have. It's weird how certain memories stick forever.

Well, I tidied her up by putting her on a rack in the dryer and steamed her "clean". Just enough so she wouldn't gross me out lol, after all, this really isn't my doll, although with God, it wouldn't surprise me if it really was. Today, "Ketti" may be arriving from Canada. After I was successful finding "Funny", I diligently searched out my sister's childhood Pluto doll that she, actually WE, loved to death. The original "Ketti" was purchased at a Sears store after the "real original " was purchased at Disney World and later left & lost somewhere. My Mom keeps the "Sears Ketti" at her home. The face was made of rubber and my sister and I would both chew on his face. He has very little face left at all. I always threatened her and said that if I died first, Ketti was being buried with me! The fun we had with that old tattered Pluto doll we affectionately called Ketti was unending. Even as adults, he has brought us smiles, laughter and joy. Every once in while my Mom & Dad will bring him along to spend time with my nieces when they visit them. That doll is still bringing smiles a generation later. Maybe, God willing, we will live to see yet another generation love Ketti! <3

No comments: