Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blessed with MS?


Acts 2:42
New King James Version (NKJV)
42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

As many of you know, we have an MS bible study that meets every other Sunday. It was originally birthed over 8 years ago out of a need we had for an MS support group that not only offered support, but HOPE. Many support groups out there have good intentions, but quite often they have the tendency to go off on negative tangents and participate in pity parties. This group is different. Jesus is at the center of our gatherings. We DO talk about our disease, symptoms, doctors and meds BUT, we always bring it back to God's Word and remind each other that this is just temporary. We also break bread (eat lots of yummy snacks) and fellowship (chit- chat) together. This group has become a family to us. We all truly love each other. Before leaving the group on Sunday to go home, as I was saying goodbye to one of my friends, we hugged each other and looked at each other intently. I wanted to take a mental picture of the two of us as we stood there "off balance" with canes in hand. We both knew that this situation wasn't going to last forever. We reminded each other of how incredibly awesome heaven was going to be for all of us. We are confident that the promises in the bible are true. This life is but a vapor and the good days will never end once we enter into eternal life. I also had the privilege of praying with another friend in the group as we encouraged and exhorted one another. Although this group gives us the opportunity to discuss life with MS and all that it entails, we don't stay focused on the disease. We accept our lot in this life knowing that we have a future and a hope. We don't deny that God could remove this dreadful disease from any of us at any given moment, but honestly, I believe that this family of friends is truly grateful for the good that has come out of having Multiple Sclerosis. Mainly our friendships. We would not have known each other like we do had we not been "blessed with MS". Yes, I can consider this trial joy when I think about the blessings it has brought into my life. What matters most is God, people and how I use my time to serve them. MS has blessed me with a stronger need for God in my life, a stronger need for good friends and a stronger desire to serve my Savior, Jesus. He is worthy of all our praise! So although the disease itself can be miserable, I can still say that I am blessed with MS!

No comments: