Sunday, July 15, 2012

Selfless Love...

Quit praying about yourself and be spent for others as the bondslave of Jesus. That is the meaning of being made broken bread and poured out wine in reality. Oswald Chambers

My husband has shown selfless love over this trying weekend. He showed me the meaning of being poured out like wine for my benefit. When I read this line in the devotion for today by Oswald Chambers it revealed how selfish I can be. By nature, I care about myself, my needs, my comfort way too much. Yesterday was proof. I was sick as a dog from my increased dose of Rebif, my MS med. I did the shot on Friday, but it has made me very sick over this entire weekend so far. Yesterday was miserable for me and to top of it off, our A/C is broken. Heat and MS don't go together at all. Just a half a degree increase in body temperature can wreak havoc on my central nervous system, exacerbating every symptom I've ever had. I slept most of the day away yesterday. I'm always praying for God's will in my life yet I'm so surprised when feeling miserable is part of His will for me sometimes. If you're anything like me, you can't help but to fast forward to the future and obsess over the thought, "what if I feel like this forever"? "How will I be able to survive"? We are commanded to not worry about tomorrow, but I was worrying. His grace is sufficient for me, I reminded myself multiple times throughout the day and it was sufficient. I made it through the day and today is a new day. I'm still feeling cruddy but I'm grateful for the slightest improvement at all. I knew what to expect with this new medication yet I allowed it to blindside me. My prayer for today is that I will once again, stop my "domino effect thinking", live in the moment and realize that this too shall pass. It's a season. All seasons come to an end and a new season will begin. I am so grateful & thankful for my husband, who can change his plans on a dime and "just roll" with whatever comes his way. We weren't able to get out of the house yesterday like I had initially desired, but we ordered sandwiches to be delivered to the house and stayed entertained by watching a goofy movie. He set up the portable A/C unit in our bedroom to keep us cool during the night. He switched sides of the bed with me to put me on the "cooler side". He takes good care of me. That is selfless love. <3

Philippians 2:3-4
New King James Version (NKJV)
3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

No comments: