Thursday, July 5, 2012

First week down...


I completed my first week of Rebif. I had three "lower dose" shots this week. I have felt pretty yucky (flu-like), yet I am determined to stick it out and continue to try this medication. I gave myself the first injection, Amanda played nurse for the second and Kenny did the third shot yesterday. It's a family affair! I'm looking forward to a "no injection weekend". As I've mentioned before, this past April marked 10 years of living with MS. Looking back, which I try not to do often, I wish I had traveled more. My worst symptoms come from dysfunction of my brainstem causing symptoms of dizziness, vertigo and nausea. They don't make good traveling buddies. It affects my equilibrium, therefore my balance and my ears feel "messed up". It often feels like I just entered a pressurized cabin on an airplane. I get shudders in my head and sensations that I am unable to describe easily. I can't handle too much movement. You will never catch me on a ride at an amusement park (or even a swing, for that matter), a cruise or an airplane anytime soon, if ever. I get sick rolling over in my own bed. For these reasons, we don't travel much, but if we do, it is by car.

The funny thing is, is that I've never really enjoyed traveling much to begin with. I consider myself to be a "homebody". I'm the person who while away on vacation, can't wait to pick up my dogs from being boarded and then go home! I enjoy being home. I love being home with my husband, kids (whoever is around), and my 3 dogs. Hanging out is my idea of fun. Now that I'm physically unable to travel, it makes me want to more. Why do we always want what we can't have? It just proves to me how we are never completely satisfied while living here on earth. It won't be this way in heaven, with Jesus in our presence, we won't need a thing. There is fullness of joy in Him.

Psalm 16:11
New King James Version (NKJV)
11 You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

As I sit here typing on the couch, I am so grateful for EVERYTHING that I have been blessed with. It's raining outside at the moment and that is beautiful to me. I am amazed at how much the view from my front window has changed from day to day over this past difficult year. The view is ever changing. I see sunny days, rainy days, windy days, people walking with their dogs, birds flying, butterflies, squirrels, cats, children playing, the mailman..... If these scenes are beautiful to me, I can't even begin to fathom the beauty of heaven. I'm looking forward to my "ultimate vacation" in heaven. It will be PERFECT!!!

Revelation 21:4
New King James Version (NKJV)
4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”



2 comments:

Denise said...

Dear Michelle, reading the above brought back memories of the ill-fated vacations you took while we worked together. I especially remember the 4-star hotel vacation in Colorado (or was it Arizona?) that was gifted to you, wasn't so great for you but I got some neat souvenirs out of it!
xxx
Denise

Michele Valentine said...

I did a 5 day drip of Solu-Medrol before we left on that trip because I had one of my first bad relapses before we left! We stayed at the beautuful Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs but I never even saw the pool! We made the most out of a bad situation. Funny how you remember that! xoxo