Monday, August 20, 2012

The "Caretaker"


Colossians 3:23-24
New King James Version (NKJV)
23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for[a] you serve the Lord Christ.

What has been heavy on my heart today is the way the Lord has so specifically called us to be exactly where we are in our lives and how He meets us no matter what the circumstances are. He has a plan and purpose for everything we go through including sickness. He is in control even when we feel like our lives are spiraling out of control at a very fast pace. Last year, as I sat on the couch spinning due to severe vertigo, nausea, vomiting and being completely incapacitated, my husband had to pick up and be "my body" for me. It was one of the many difficult trials I have faced over the years, not just being sick, but feeling so helpless and burdensome. I had no choice but to watch my husband work all day and then cook dinner, clean the house, tend to the dogs, interact with the kids, and continue to care for all of my physical, spiritual and emotional needs. I literally couldn't move. If I was able to eat anything, he had to prepare it and serve me. If I had to use the bathroom, he had to help me. If I needed a shower, he needed to assist me. When I needed to see a doctor, he took me. The list could go on and on about the endless ways he served and cared for me (and still does) during those very difficult months BUT, who got all the flowers, greeting cards and sympathy? NOT HIM!!! I did. He selflessly served me, his wife, in a very sacrificial way and I know what and Who drove him to do so, it was Jesus. Kenny knows that when he serves me, he is actually serving the Lord. It was and is very honorable for him to serve me in that capacity and I respect him for that, but in all honesty, the Lord EXPECTS that from ALL of us. Kenny says that he was "only doing what he should be doing" but I never seemed to agree with him because I felt guilty needing so much help and care. He would say, "I know you would do the same for me". That is the truth, I would. It gives me pleasure to serve my husband. I know I need to make some improvements but we are ALL a work in progress. The reason why I'm writing about this is because there are countless loved ones out there, who are serving their spouses, day in and day out, with no recognition. I don't want to take away any rewards in heaven for these selfless people, but I do want to recognize and thank ALL of the so-called "caretakers" out there who are serving their spouse with all their heart and soul. They are pouring into their spouse much of the love they receive from Christ Himself. It isn't easy being "the sick one" but it sure isn't easy being "the one caring for the sick one" either. In fact, I personally believe it is MORE difficult for the caretaker. They are not ONLY caring for the needs of their spouse but many are continuing to be the main "bread winner" of the family as well. I have no idea what the statistics are for marriages that end in divorce due to the onset of a severe chronic illness, but I'm sure it is very high. When we get married, we make a vow to love one another in sickness and in health. How many people stand at the alter and think, "I may be diagnosed next year with MS or cancer"? When we are in love and courting, no one thinks, "I could be in a wheelchair next year". The truth of the matter is, that as husband and wife, we are committed to serving each other. One beautiful example that the Lord Jesus Himself gave us in reference to serving each other is when He washed the feet of His disciples at the Passover dinner. Imagine that, God Almighty washing the dirty, stinky feet of these men and this included the feet of His betrayer, Judas. How much more should we humble ourselves to serve each other, especially our spouses...

John 13:1-5
New King James Version (NKJV)

13 Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.

2 And supper being ended,[a] the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, 4 rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. 5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.


2 comments:

Virginia Santoro said...

POWERFUL message, dear Michele. I'm reminded of my Mom, how she selflessly took care of my Dad as he spiraled down in sickness over more than 2 years. There was no question or hesitation about it. That's what LOVE does. Thank you for this messge today. What a blessing you are unto me.

Michele Valentine said...

I loved meeting your beautiful Mom a few weeks ago. She's an amazing woman. I see where you get your "amazingness" from! You are a blessing to me as well.