Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Tire Went Flat...


Hebrews 12:1
New King James Version (NKJV)
12 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Sometimes I forget I'm "running" a race. I get caught up in trying to "sprint" in my mind and I get carried away on unnecessary tangents. One thought can lead me down a dark road and fear can easily slip in as my faith seeps out through a slow leak like a tire, leaving me "flat". How does that happen? One moment everything is looking beautiful and lovely and then something happens and it feels like the end of the world. Does that happen to you? The above verse mentions "the sin that so easily ensnares us". Lately, I know in my life, it tends to be the same thing tripping me up regularly in my walk with God. I am a terrible listener! Why is it so difficult for me to just be quiet and listen? This is not only a problem for me, it is trickling down to my flock. Yes, my daughter is EXACTLY like me!!! No wonder we get on each other's last nerve at times! We have the same issue! Two people not listening to each other equals NO ONE truly hearing ANYTHING which equals CHAOS. While reading my bible this morning, I was convicted once again by the following verse;

James 1:19
New King James Version (NKJV)
19 So then,[a] my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;

I have been unable to master the art of listening. I interrupt. I have quite often used the excuse that it's "genetic" because it seems to run in my family. I come from a very fine line of interrupters. I don't want to continue making excuses for myself. I want this behavior to change. Today, I am asking the Lord to help me stop and listen before I open my mouth. I'm asking for His help. If you are a praying person, please lift me up in your prayers. I want to deal head on with this issue. The Lord has a way of peeling back those yucky, ugly layers of the old self as a reminder of how much I need Him for everything. I know that He isn't done with me yet because I woke up today. He will continue to do a work in me until He calls me home. I'm so grateful that He doesn't condemn me and that He is able to deliver me from my ways and mold me to be more like Jesus. As far as that slow leak is concerned, I'm grateful that when I open my bible, He fills me back up again and my "tire" is no longer flat. His mercies are new every morning, that's a very good thing because I need fresh mercy today! Thank You Jesus for Your continued work in me!


John 15:5
New King James Version (NKJV)
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

Philippians 1:6
New King James Version (NKJV)
6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;

Lamentations 3:22-23
New King James Version (NKJV)
22 Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you weren't physically stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire :)

-Juli

Michele Valentine said...

You are a sweet kid! <3