Saturday, September 29, 2012

"We're Sisters You Know"

1 Peter 4:8
New Living Translation (NLT)
8 Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins.

My sister's name is Margie. She's my best friend (other than my husband, of course) and my only sibling. We are only 16 months apart and I'm the older of the two of us. When we were kids, we couldn't be in the same room together without fighting. We were very mean to each other most of the time. I have to admit that I was meaner than she was. We would get into physical fights and we picked on each other verbally when we were growing up. We were latch key kids at one point and I would wear the key to our house on a crocheted chain around my neck . I would use it to whip her with the key. It saddens me deeply when I think about how cruel I was to her back then.

There were also times when we would be the best of friends. She would ride me on the back of her bicycle as I sucked on her hair (I know, EWWW!). We would ride to the store to buy candy and bubble gum. We played dolls (Jarina) together nicely at times and we always seemed to be closest while on family vacations. We would love to spend time in the hotel pool. We would play on the divider that separated the shallow end from the deep end. During our trips to Sanibel Island, our parents would always bring us to a particular restaurant/ice cream parlor that sold penny candy. We would each be given a little brown bag and permission to fill it up with candies. When we got back to our hotel room, we would empty the candy on our beds and count all the pieces and sometimes trade them with each other. We would listen to the radio and sing songs together such as, "Blue Eyes" by Elton John as we laughed & giggled until all hours of the night. We enjoyed each others company during those special times. I know we truly loved each other.

Our Grandma always reminded us of a time when we were very young, barely old enough to speak and one of the two of us said to her, "we're sisters you know!". Gram loved that line and it always made her laugh when she would tell us about it over the years.

Later in life, when I was a divorced single mom, my sister offered to be my roommate so I could afford to live. We got an apartment together and she helped me care for my kids. She was and still is the most loving Aunt to my children. She is naturally sacrificial, always helping in times of need. She has a heart for my kids that is so special to me.

As adults, we speak EVERY day on the phone, usually multiple times. If we don't hear from each other within a reasonable amount of time in the day, we will send a text to check in with one another. The texts that I receive will say something such as "Chellooo" or "Howdy Hoo". It's usually followed by a picture of one of her many adorable pets.

I couldn't imagine life without my sister and I don't even want to think about that. We have the same parents (which is rare these days) so we are able to discuss family matters. She is kind, loving and an extremely fun person to be around. She is an animal lover & enthusiast, a great mom (to my two beautiful nieces), a great daughter (to our parents), and a devoted wife (to my hard working bro-in-law). She is a blessing to me and my entire family . I never want to take her for granted.

Thank You Lord for greatly blessing me with Margie, we're sisters you know!!!

No comments: