Saturday, September 1, 2012

His Will Be Done...My First Lesson In Trusting God


Luke 22:42
New King James Version (NKJV)
42 saying, “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.”

After Kenny and I first got married back in 1999, we were both "new believers" at the time. Shortly after our wedding, Kenny made an appointment to go and see his dermatologist and have some moles looked at, one of which was getting larger and very black in color. I had just started working a new "day job" where I had been promoted from a leasing consultant to an assistant manager of a rental community. My days of working long nights as a waitress/bartender had finally come to an end. We were working together as a couple now to have a more structured and "normal" life. Our goal was to work hours that would be more conducive to spending time together as a married couple and with our children. Life was good. While at work one afternoon, I received a call from Kenny. The biopsy had come back and it was clearly melanoma. He would be having an excision to remove it. There was a man living at the property where I was working at the time, who had melanoma that had spread throughout his body and he was now terminal. This is what I knew of melanoma and it left me feeling panic stricken.

During the excision, a nurse came into the waiting area where I sat to ask if I would like to go back and be with my husband. I did. When I walked into the room I was dumbfounded. What I thought was a simple "mole removal" was actually a very deep excision that was large, gaping, deep and the shape of a football. It took many stitches to sew his leg back together. It wasn't what I expected to see. The melanoma was a level 3 if my memory serves me correctly. The scar as it began to heal, looked like he had been attacked by a shark. The area was extremely concave from all the tissue that was removed. It made me sick to look at it.

This was the very first time in my walk with God that I remember praying for "His will" to be done, not mine. I remember after the excision, being outside pacing around our pool in the backyard and praying fervently. I also remember "letting go" of my husband and placing him in the care of my Heavenly Father. It took bravery and courage on my part to do so because I wanted "my will" for my husband to be done. God's will could have been to take his life at a young age. Obviously, God's will was for him to survive melanoma. He is still alive and kicking today. This was the first of many prayers where I have prayed for God's will to be done, not mine. They don't always turn out how "I want" or how "I expect" but, I have learned to trust God in every aspect of my life because of His faithfulness. I have prayed for His will to be done with many other aspects of my life over the years, including my Multiple Sclerosis. He hasn't removed MS from my life but I continue to trust His plan for me and I know that He has used this disease to help me gain compassion for others. It has also given me the ability to comfort others with the same comfort He has given me. His will is where I want to be. He knows what's best, I believe that wholeheartedly...He is God. Nothing can thwart His plans.

Job 42:2
New King James Version (NKJV)
2 “I know that You can do everything,
And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.


2 Corinthians 1:3-4
New King James Version (NKJV)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

No comments: