Thursday, October 4, 2012

Petey


Proverbs 27:1
New King James Version (NKJV)
27 Do not boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring forth.

Anyone who knows me, knows how much I love my dogs. This week has been an emotional one for me due to the unexpected loss of my 9 year old Boston Terrier, Petey. Although I am able to keep things in perspective, and I know that I am blessed that it was my dog and not a family member or friend, I still can't seem to just shut my feelings of sadness off. These pets we care for are God's creation and are here on earth for our mutual enjoyment. They are like family to me. Through the years, my dogs have been companions and have shown nothing but unconditional love to me and my family. They have comforted me through much sickness and sadness. They have napped with me and they have greeted me with excitement, love and kisses every time I have come home, even if it was just a trip to the mailbox and back.

We got Petey as an 8 week old puppy. He grew up with our three children. He has been a fixture in this family for the last nine years. That is about half the lifetime of our youngest kid! When we look at family photos from the past, there's Petey! I always thought that if I were to end up in a wheelchair due to my MS, Petey would be the dog on my lap in my chair. I gave him rides around the house in my scooter while testing it out during my last MS relapse.

Enjoy your many blessings today while you still have them. I'm grateful for the love that my "little guy" showed to us even in the midst of his suffering with cancer. Although I haven't felt much like writing, I wanted to remind all of us, to not take our loved ones, including our pets, for granted....we never know what tomorrow may bring.

No comments: