Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Working on putting aside the pride...


Ecclesiastes 5:20
New King James Version (NKJV)
20 For he will not dwell unduly on the days of his life, because God keeps him busy with the joy of his heart.

Multiple Sclerosis means "many scars". It leaves scarring on your brain and spinal cord. Can you think of any body part that isn't controlled by your brain and spinal cord? I can't either. Therefore, the MonSter (MS) can cause symptoms ANYWHERE in one's body. My least favorite symptom is my dizziness and vertigo. It has been a lingering residual nuisance that never quite said goodbye after my last really bad non-stop vertigo-a-thon. But that is only one of the multitude of symptoms. There are ALL the others. Blurry vision, double vision, numbness, pins & needles, sharp stabbing pains...you get the picture. Most mornings upon awakening, I automatically take an assessment of what I'm feeling, even before just sitting up. I can't help it. I'm dizzy the moment my eyes open. A vivid reminder of my reality. In order to motivate myself to get my day started, I bribe myself with a cup of fresh coffee, my favorite spot on the couch (with my arm dent) and my IPad. This time alone is when I connect with God and am reminded of my true reality that is invisible yet very real. I may come out of my bedroom in the morning (my worst time of day) all doom & gloom but after reading the bible, devotions and praying, I am brought back to reality. The truth is that this life here on earth is but a vapor. My eternal life is, well, eternal. Thinking about eternal life with no MS brings me joy of heart. It's enough to sustain me. After this weekend of using the big ol' cart at Sam's to get around, and recently allowing Kenny to push me in my wheelchair so I could enjoy a day at the zoo, I'm realizing that I am allowing some pride to dissipate. Yes, I have been prideful. I'm still a work in progress and this disease gets the best of me at times but I have the Holy Spirit of God Almighty residing inside. Everything is going to be ok....

James 4:14
New King James Version (NKJV)
14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

No comments: