Thursday, June 13, 2013

Harvey

Colossians 3:12
New King James Version (NKJV)
12 Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;

A picture today of our friend Harvey Gordon laying in his hospital bed led me to think about the bond we have as brothers and sisters in The Lord. I will never forget the day that Kenny and I bumped into Harvey, his beautiful wife Nanette and their adorable son Cristopher at the mall a few months ago. It was a big day out for both of us, as we have both been going through many health struggles. Something unique stood out to me that day at the mall. It can be summed up in one word, "kindness". Harvey stopped what he was doing and although he was and still is, going through an extremely rough trial in the form of leukemia, he took the time to comfort ME that day.  This reminded me very much of Jesus.   One of the things that made me realize that this man is "set apart", was the way he squatted down to my level as I sat in a chair while he was speaking to me. My dizziness and vertigo make it difficult for me to tilt my head to look up or turn sideways. I find myself struggling to hold conversations with people especially while sitting or when I'm in my wheelchair. People have the tendency to stand directly in front of me which causes me to lift my head up making me dizzy and nauseated. I would never tell anyone to squat down to speak with me, but Harvey did exactly that. It seems so trivial but obviously it meant a lot to me personally.  That was just one of the many qualities about him that stuck out to me that day. We discussed different things such as some of the changes that we were making to our diets. Harvey also had a verse to share with me that The Lord had laid upon his heart...

Job 10:12
New King James Version (NKJV)
12 You have granted me life and favor,
And Your care has preserved my spirit.

Sometimes God blesses us with a special connection with others who know and understand true sufferings through their life's circumstances. It's a club that none of us would choose to be a part of, but we accept what The Lord has allowed in our lives and choose to see His goodness in the midst of these circumstances. 

I'm asking anyone reading this blog entry to please keep my brother in Christ, Harvey, his wife Nanette and their precious little boy lifted up in prayer. Please join me in praying for God's healing, His strength to endure this fight and the kind of peace that surpasses all understanding that comes from God alone...

I also want to mention that Harvey is in need of a bone marrow transplant. If God so lays it on your heart to be tested to see if you're a match, please visit "Be The Match" on-line http://m.marrow.org/ for more information on how you can be tested to help give Harvey, or even someone else, a new lease on life...

*Harvey went home to be with our Savior on August 27, 2013. Please keep Nanette and Cristopher in your prayers...

1 comment:

Harvey Gordon - Environmental Hygienist said...

Hi Michele,

I am humbled once again by your gentleness and compassion...it is I who have learned the depth of my blessing through you and how you have championed your faith in your illness.

To say that the road has been difficult would be an injustice as you know. Instead I rejoice daily that I get to meet such pillars of faith from where to draw that days strength...you are one of those pillars!

I love you sister!