Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Was it worth it?

Psalm 18:6
New King James Version (NKJV)
6 In my distress I called upon the Lord,
And cried out to my God;
He heard my voice from His temple,
And my cry came before Him, even to His ears.

The past two days have been rough. As some of you know from Facebook, Kenny and I went to the beach on Saturday. We stayed for only an hour. It felt so good to be sitting there in a beach chair on the sand and looking out at the ocean. Breathing in fresh ocean air was exhilarating.  I honestly don't remember the last time we actually went to the beach. We have gone and sat on a bench, but we hadn't actually gone to the beach for quite some time. After only one hour, my body knew it was time to leave. The rest of the day we spent together enjoying each other's company. We went to the grocery store, Starbucks for some coffee and came home and swam in our pool. It was a very full day for me.  The following morning (Sunday) I got in our pool again and moved around on a "noodle" that Kenny picked up for me at the pool store. I had two active days in a row! 

Then came Monday and Tuesday.... I was literally in bed ALL day, both days, barely able to move or function.  I'm not sure about when I last felt so completely drained like that. There are no words to describe that type of painful fatigue. I woke up exhausted and that heavy lead feeling never left me. I was pleading for God to lift it from me.  Over the years, I have been blessed with fairly decent energy for someone with MS. The past few days though, I was unable to do anything. Taking a shower landed me in bed. Even thinking was difficult. I had a taste of the debilitating MS fatigue that so many people suffer through daily. I have to admit, it was frightening. If I were to continue on that track, I would basically be bedridden...

Today is a new day though. I'm glad that I listened to my body and slept all day long for two days straight. It has paid off. Although I am still quite fatigued, I am feeling more energy today. I was texting a friend of mine yesterday who also has health issues, and I asked her if she thought that "going for it" when you're feeling well is worth it or would it have been better to skip the busy beach day? She thought that a day of enjoyment was well worth the harsh consequences. I suppose I agree somewhat, but I'm not sure that I'll be going to the beach again any time soon. Well, I don't think so anyway....

No comments: