Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Delayed Gratification

Romans 8:18
New King James Version (NKJV)
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

The words "delayed gratification" have been swirling around in my head a lot lately. I have SO much to look forward to, eternal life ahead of me! Sometimes I feel as if my life here on earth is closing in on me. I have become more immobile, a bit isolated and quite uncomfortable most of my days because of Multiple Sclerosis. If I allow myself to dwell on my discomfort, it overwhelms me. I begin to consider my age and how many years I could potentially have to suffer through life with this dreadful disease and it's ravaging effects. I've already endured MS for over 11 years. That's a long time to "not feel well". Just some honest thoughts... 

When I look around me, I see many different scenarios. I see friends hanging on to dear life while fighting terminal illnesses, I see people biding their time until they can see their departed loved ones again, I see friends struggling in their marriages, finances and a multitude of other major life trials. Then I think about our future. My future and the future of my brothers and sisters that have placed their trust and their very lives in our Savior, Jesus. We have Him to look forward to! It's just a matter of time until we see Him face to face. Our day of death will certainly arrive and until then, we need to occupy our time here as He has instructed us. It's a win win situation. We can't lose if we remain in His will. If we go through difficult times or even times that seem completely unbearable, He is not only aware of our circumstances, He is with us through them. He never leaves or forsakes us! We need to hang on to Him for dear life because HE IS OUR LIFE. I think that "delaying gratification" may be a psychological term but it is applicable to what we need to do here on earth. Our rewards are to come and all we need to do is be obedient to what He calls us to do. Writing this blog today was what He asked me to do. So here it is. Will you listen to His voice today? He will never put us to shame...

Romans 10:11
New King James Version (NKJV)
11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”


No comments: