Saturday, November 10, 2012

What happened to that "positive" MS Facebook page?"


Romans 10:14
New Living Translation (NLT)
14 But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?

I used to be a morning person. I LOVED the morning. I would wake up around 5 am whether or not I had to be at work. I have always loved my first sip of coffee. I have loved digging into devotions and reading my bible. I have also loved to pray and to write in my prayer journal.

I still do love all of those things but because of my MS, I am no longer an early morning person. I have actually been having trouble waking up. The part of my brain that controls my alertness has gone haywire. When I am asleep now, I am in such a deep sleep that I feel like I'm far far away and I'm unable to wake up. Sometimes I can feel the struggle of trying to wake up. It's like I'm in the deepest part of the ocean and trying to come up for air. I've never been like that before. I used to wake up and pop up and out of bed. After one cup of coffee, I was ready to conquer the world! Now when I wake up, on top of that heavy sleepy feeling, I wake up dizzy from the moment my eyes open. The yucky reminder of my "new normal" that has been going on for about a year and a half now.

Max, my dog woke me up scratching himself loudly this morning. It woke me up and for some reason my thoughts went directly to a Facebook page that I realized I haven't heard about or seen posts from in MANY months. I don't know what brought this to mind, well, maybe I do, I believe God laid it on my heart. The Facebook page was an MS one that was focused on being very "positive". The woman who created the page had an incredible sense of humor and she was extremely lighthearted. I loved her posts. She would make me smile, giggle and laugh out loud, literally. I felt a tad paranoid as I considered that maybe she "unfriended" me. I still haven't figured it out, but it made me realize that someone out there may need hope today in the midst of their trials. Her page helped me with my daily struggle with MS and maybe this blog has helped others. People come and go in our lives. That isn't surprising, but there is someone Who sticks closer than a friend, it's God (Proverbs 18:24b).

To be honest, I had gone away with Kenny for a weekend and felt pretty good, on my scale of good and bad, but things have a way of catching up with me. I have pain and all kinds of symptoms from my head down to my feet literally. When I feel terrible, I know what I need to do. I isolate myself and I draw near to God. That is my game plan in times of pain and discomfort and it never fails me. I know that He is with me and never leaves me.

I had some MRI's done recently which showed 4 new lesions on my brain and cervical spine. What surprised me even more than the new lesions were the 7-8 herniated discs, bulging discs, spondylosis, arthritis and other "stuff" going on in my back. I have had back pain for years and never knew I had such chaos going on like that on my spine. It just added to my list of ailments.

I know that I am not the only one out there struggling with chronic disease or pain but I have chosen to be very transparent about my condition and parts of my life in order for others to see the power of God at work in my life. I have not experienced a "miraculous" healing, although it's a miracle to me that the chronic vertigo dissipated over time. The power of God in my life has manifested itself as the ability to cope with this miserable disease on a daily basis and still find joy and peace in the midst of it. Today, I would have much preferred to have tried to go back to bed, but there is always someone who doesn't know Jesus and that just doesn't sit well with me. Today when I woke up, I felt like I had to remind someone out there in cyber space that through the pain and suffering of this life, there is hope, peace and the reality of heaven. Knowing that my pain and discomfort will eventually end and I will see the Lord face to face is what sustains me. Our world is full of evil, difficulties, pain and death. You don't have to look far to witness it for yourself. There is a place called heaven where there is no more dying, no more crying and no more sorrow. If I can keep my eyes focused on the goal and remind myself that Jesus is with me and has promised not to forsake me, I will get through each of my days as I approach them one at a time. I pray once again for anyone reading this blog that hasn't surrendered their life to Jesus as Lord and Savior, listen to His voice today...

Revelation 21:4
New Living Translation (NLT)
4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”

No comments: